Our first concern when you visit Downtown Georgetown Dental is restoring optimal oral health, and correcting any cosmetic imperfections that you are unhappy with. Don’t think our job is done once you have a healthy, gorgeous smile. Preventive care is one of the most valuable services that we provide. We want to help you maintain your fabulous smile and radiant health for life. We provide a custom Gum Therapy plan, tailored to your individual needs, to restore gum health and slow the progression of disease, if present.
Regular visits are recommended every six months for most patients, but they may be more or less frequent, depending on your unique needs. Our highly skilled licensed hygienist will provide individualized treatment based on your specific needs and preferences. These appointments include:
Cleaning – Using specially designed tools and gentle techniques, your hygienist will remove plaque and tartar from hard to reach areas, such as below the gum line, and in pits and fissures.
Polishing – This technique helps remove superficial stains and smooth the tooth surface, for a sparkling, bright smile.
Patient education – Don’t worry; we won’t lecture you. Instead, we will work with you, helping you develop a better understanding of your unique oral health needs, and effective hygiene habits. You are encouraged to ask questions, and discuss any oral health concerns that you may have.
Exam – If you think your teeth are healthy, you might not be very interested in a checkup. However, early detection of oral disease is the key to efficient, effective treatment. Although brushing and flossing are critical, oral health is complex, and problems can develop even in people with excellent habits. We use state-of-the-art diagnostic technology, including digital x-rays and intraoral cameras, to detect potential problems in the earliest stages.
What can you do?
Your oral care team includes your dentist, hygienist, and other staff at your dental office. However, there is one more, very important member of that team – you. Never underestimate the importance of your own actions, habits, and choices. Since we can’t see you every single day, we will be happy to answer questions, teach you the most effective hygiene techniques, and advise you about healthy habits.
Here are a few simple ways you can prevent the build-up of plaque and cavities:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Use fluoride toothpaste to remove food particles and plaque from the tooth surfaces. Also be sure to brush the top surface of your tongue; this will remove any extra plaque-causing food particles, and help keep your breath fresh!
- Clean between your teeth by flossing at least once a day. You can also use a mouthwash to help kill bacteria and freshen your breath. Decay-causing bacteria can linger between teeth where toothbrush bristles can't reach. Floss and mouthwash will help remove plaque and food particles from between the teeth and under the gum line.
- Eat a balanced diet, and try to avoid extra-sugary treats. Nutritious foods such as raw vegetables, plain yogurt, cheese or fruit can help keep your smile healthy.
Remember to schedule regular checkups with your dentist every six months for a professional teeth cleaning.
- Ask your dentist about dental sealants, a protective plastic coating that can be applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth where decay often starts.
- If you play sports, be sure to ask your dentist about special mouthguards designed to protect your smile.